Midcoast Maine Indivisible Meeting Minutes 3/29/17
-101 people in attendance (record high). First part of meeting featured choral director Steve Weston, who taught us the song “Quiet” in preparation for Apr. 8, 2017, National I Can’t Keep Quiet Day — Local Sing-In to be held on the Camden Village Green at 11 AM.
-Introductions and purpose and description of affinity groups. Broke up into affinity groups to plan upcoming actions.
-Reports from groups:
Environment Group Plan:
- Support Apr. 22 March for Science
- Support Apr. 29 People’s Climate March
- EPA action 8-10 Thursday: post to Twitter using hashtag #ThanksEPA
Town Hall Group Plan:
Susan Collins Listening Town Hall will be held on Thursday Apr. 20th 6:30 pm at Watts Hall Thomaston. It will feature video, live streaming and Bangor and other local groups will be invited.
Tax March Group Plan:
March in downtown Thomaston on Apr. 15, 2017, 2-4 PM to demand Trump release his tax returns. Need marshalls to help with crowd handling. Town and Police are informed and on board with our plans.
Russia Group Plan:
Apr. 4 is “Treason Tuesday” call Collins/King and demand to know what they are doing about Trump’s ties to Russia. Call McCain, Graham, Warner and Burr to support their efforts on the investigation. Continue to push for independent investigation.
Immigration Group Plan:
- Will work on stories about refugees
- ACLU training coming up Apr. 6, 5:00 Lincoln Street Center in Rockland
- Keep track of Muslim Bans etc.
- Sanctuary Congregations in Knox County.
Education Group Plan:
- Work on understanding how legislative bills on education move through Congress
- Trump is going to Nullify Higher Ed. Act. Which pays for teacher professional development, prep for assessments.
- Hit to public Education in Trump’s budget plan.
Health Care Group Plan:
- Research Medicare for All
- We will use Govtrack.us to track bills as they come up
- Develop questions for Town Hall
- Check into the ACT UP model that was used for AIDS epidemic in 80’s; how can we apply a similar strategy?
-Guest brought up cuts to AFS program. Paid for thru State Dept. program; we need to call by Fri.
-Next Meeting Apr. 12 at Watts Hall: 170 Main Street, Thomaston, 7 pm